April 12-14, 2013
August 23-25, 2013
CLICK HERE to download a participant application form
Want to be staff at Camp Diversity? Click here
What the program is
Camp Diversity (est. 1993) is a weekend camp for young adults living with intellectual and physical challenges. Participants are divided into four colour groups who rotate around different activities full of action, excitement and fun times. Each group contains both young adults living with intellectual and physical challenges, and those living without such challenges.
Over the weekend, participants experience a range of activities varying in the areas of creativity, physical games, performance and unique experiences. No two activities are the same, which means that there is always something for everyone to enjoy. Camp Diversity also hosts a Disco on the Saturday night which is always well attended and quite often the highlight of a participant’s camp.
Who the program is for
Camp Diversity is for young adults between the ages of 16 and 35 living with intellectual and/ or physical challenges. To be eligible to participate in camp diversity, the participants must be;
- Independent in their daily living skills, or else only require prompting assistance.
- Aged 16 – 35, although exceptions can be made at the discretion of the Executive Committee, who take into consideration that chronological age can often vary from intellectual and emotional age.
Each colour group has approximately 12-15 participants, and is provided with care by 5-6 volunteer staff. Each group also has the inclusion of a few younger members of the volunteer staff, who are not available to provide care, but do provide social support and fun interactions.
Camp Diversity is organised and run predominately by young volunteers of Lord Somers Camp and Power House, although anyone from the community is welcome to volunteer. All staff have a Working With Children Check, and have varying levels of experience working with people with disabilities, but all staff attend a briefing at the start of the weekend.
What the benefits are for both participants and staff
The broad objective of Camp Diversity is to bring together young adults with differing levels of health and physical ability in order to;
- Promote self esteem, confidence and assertiveness in young adults living with physical and intellectual challenges.
- Create an understanding of the impact of living with differing physical and intellectual abilities.
- Promote the adoption of a healthy lifestyle for all individuals.
- Develop information sharing and networking amongst young adults.
- Facilitate the process of integration of young adults with differing levels of health and physical abilities within their peer group.
The aim of Camp Diversity is that every individual, both participants and staff, experiences a fun and engaging weekend of activities and making new friends.
How someone could become/get involved
To volunteer for Camp Diversity simply fill out an application form on this website, or to find out more information please contact our staff coordinator at
or the office on 9510 7066.
For enquiries about participating on the camp please contact;
Camp Leader – Jake Weatherson
Phone: 0468 918 781
Executive Officer – Jono Cowan
Participant Coordinator – Vikki Deak
For enquiries about volunteering on the camp please contact;